Consultant Health Psychologist
- As a Consultant Health Psychologist I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and am an Associate Fellow of The British Psychological Society.
- I have a PhD in pain psychology.
- I am an Advanced Hypnotherapy Practitioner registered on the General Hypnotherapy Register.
- I am an EMDR (eye movement desensitizing and reprocessing) practitioner and have diplomas in Neuro-linguistic programming and life coaching.
- I have research publications in the field of pain and run workshops for health professionals to improve their understanding of chronic pain.
- I have authored these books so far, Sleeping with Pain, Break the Pain Cycle in 28 days and Managing Chronic Pain in the Family.
How can I help you?
Having working with many people with a wide variety of chronic pain conditions, I have the knowledge and experience to develop an approach that works best for you!
Initially I will assess your difficulties with you by creating a working partnership – you bring your expertise about you and I will bring my expertise, experience and training in a variety of psychological approaches. Together we will develop a bespoke pain management plan for you using a combination of the approaches below.
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- CBT provides pain relief; firstly it changes the thoughts, emotions, behaviours and coping strategies related to pain, putting the pain in a better context.
- CBT also changes the physical response from the brain related to the pain by managing stress.
- Pain and stress are a vicious circle; stress affects the chemicals in our brain which control pain, so by reducing the arousal which impacts on these chemicals making our own pain relief response more powerful.
- Hypnotherapy is a set of techniques that minimizes our usual distractions and increases our responsiveness to suggestions to alter our thoughts, feelings, behaviour or physiological state relating to pain and our response to it.
- Relaxation therapy is helpful in assisting with pain relief.
- When we are in pain our bodies tense up causing more pain and continuing the stress, tension, fear pain cycle.
- When we are mentally relaxed we become more physically relaxed
Rapid Pain Elimination Therapy
- If you would like to be free from chronic pain or have your pain reduced rather than having to manage it, then Rapid Pain Elimination Therapy is for you.
- Clients can suffer with many issues that are often due to a conflict between the conscious and the unconscious mind. Using mind mediation to talk directly to the unconscious, this resolves the conflict and removes old messages relating to pain.
- This process has been effectively used with arthritis, back pain, fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, nerve pains and more. Currently clinical trials are taking place within the NHS.
- Mind mediation can also be used to help with emotional pain such as anxiety, fears/ phobias, low mood, low self esteem.
- Sanakey is the latest development in personal pain relief therapy which uses biofeedback neurostimulation.
- The Sanakey provides direct therapeutic effect at the point of pain and also activates the natural defences of the body, making it an extremely effective pain relief device.
- For more information apex-sanakey.co.uk.
SIRPA approach to pain
- This approach focuses on actual recovery, rather than treating or managing the pain.
- It involves an evidence-based, educational and self-empowering approach to help the individual identify and acknowledge the underlying emotional causes of their pain, and ‘unlearn’ the corresponding maladaptive nerve pathways.
- Because these nerve pathways are reversible, full recovery is possible, irrespective of the pain’s severity or duration.
- For more information see www.sirpauk.com.
Keeping you safe
Anyone who calls themselves a Health Psychologist is registered with the Health and Care Professions Council, which checks that the way we work is safe and effective, including things like:
- Making sure we have the right training to use the title
- Continuing professional development to keep our skills updated
- Reflecting on and continually learning from our work
- Having a complaints system
I have enhanced (full) DBS clearance.
I have full indemnity insurance for my work.